Saturday, January 26, 2008

I am getting ready to drive to my parents house and speak with my family. I have told them that I have something that I need to discuss with them. I am afraid that they think that I am about to announce some sort of accomplishment or award. Maybe even announce that I want to go to med school like my father and uncles insist is what I should do. I can't remember a time that I had to deliver bad news. The closest thing is when I got my first speeding ticket my first year of college. Definitely not something of this magnitude. In my family, my brother and I are expected to be successful. We are the first people on my mother's side of the family to ever go to college. My parents life revolves around encouraging and teaching my brother and I how to be good, dependable people. I have always felt that I must live up to high expectations so that I do not let my parents down. Do not think that my parents are too hard on me. I am the one who is hard on myself. I just want to repay my parents by getting an education, something they both regret (to some extent) they didn't do. Telling them this news makes me feel like I am letting them down. Like I have failed at keeping my body healthy. I'm not sure what I'm going to say, although I have gone over several scenarios in my head.

No comments: